Monday, August 29, 2011

3 Star Island...

Star IslandStar Island by Carl Hiaasen

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was my first Carl Hiaasen book and it may also be my last. I chose Star Island because I share the same unhealthy interest in celebrities as the rest of America and I looked forward to some good satire. The beginning of the book seemed promising; Cherry Pye is a clear caricature of some real life starlets in distress and I thought the premise of her double, Anna, was genius.

I did enjoy the smooth pace of the plot but I absolutely hated most of the characters. There were a few moments where I was so completely disgusted and irritated by the excessive profanity that I put the book down and shuddered; actually skimming until I thought I could read again.

I despised Bang Abbott, which I suppose is the point, and I didn’t really understand the necessity for the governor. I would skip this book despite the rounded up 2.5 stars I’m giving it. Hiaasen did a great job interweaving wildly ridiculous situations but the characters leave something to be desired.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment